Tuesday, August 21, 2012

1st day of school

The girls started school together at the same school! Marisa got into (it's a lottery system because it's not our neighborhood school) the dual language program at Elena's school so she started Pre-K. She was apprehensive and nervous about it which is more her personality, but she only cried the first day and the teacher was incredibly accomodating even inviting me to stay as long as Marisa needed. She only needed it the first day and then she did fine. She is really enjoying school and looks forward to going daily. Marisa really likes structure and this has been just what she needed. Elena walked into school like a pro, so proud and ready. It really helped that she stayed with the same class from Kindergarten and that her Kindergarten teacher moved up to 1st grade with them. But, even in her pictures she looks so mature and responsible to me. It really feels like she was in Marisa's shoes just yesterday. And it also feels like just yesterday I carried Marisa in the sling. They have both gotten off to a great start and I have to say that it's been so much easier now dropping off two at the same location at the same time. I've even worked out a great carpool which has been a lifesaver for me. Did I mention Karina began school too? It's only one day a week for 5 hours. My plan is to work on professional development during this time. So far though I've just spent this time cleaning--A LOT, but it's nice because I finally feel like I can maintain the household like I've wanted for some time now. Omar and I have also used this time for some during the week dates which we've enjoyed. I also applied to subsitute teach but it is totally dependent on Omar's schedule, so we shall see how that goes. But I do think I am starting to miss the classroom.
She didn't cry and her teachers said she was the happiest baby that day. A great relief for mama.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Oh my goodness, they all look so grown up :( Time flies - but you have 3 beautiful girls!