Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Children's Museum


making tortillas
enjoying playing with real looking food

I took the girls to the Austin Children's Museum for the 2nd time expecting to see the same thing but instead, I was surprised to see most of the exhibits changed. This truly motivates me to come back. I especially liked the exhibit In My Family. The exhibit was completely inspired by one of my favorite books, Family pictures. I think this exhibit was the girls' favorite too. There was Tejano music in the background for dancing, instruments and the cutest set ups for making tamales, tortillas, and traditional Mexican food. If you ever make it with your kids to this museum check out this exhibit and experience a little bit of south texan culture--through a child's eyes anyway. It really did have that feeling when I entered it. And as it turns out, it is a permanent exhibit that I missed previously because it was touring other Children's Museums. Oh and I love how not only this exhibit but all the other exhibits in the museum have all the literacy for each exhibit in English and Spanish. It gives me the chance to brush up on my technical Spanish.

2 comments:

Austin Children's Museum said...

Glad you hear you enjoyed your visit to Austin Children's Museum! And you may be interested to know, we'll be having a special Storytime program in Jan & Feb 2010 based on the stories of Carmen Lomas Garza (more info: http://www.austinkids.org/Programs/Gallery-Programs/SueƱos-Realizados-Storytime.aspx).

We hope to see you back soon and in the meantime, you can get Museum-inspired at-home activity ideas to do together w/your children from our blog @ blog.austinkids.org. Enjoy!

Carmen Castro Martinez said...

Thanks for the info.!! Can't wait to make a trip to Austin!!