Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Karina update


Last month Karina started asthma medication. After 2 wheezing episodes on different occassions caused after a typical cold and cough, her pediatrician prescribed steroids through a nebulizer. Last weekend she got another cold and started having trouble breathing. The albuterol didn't seem to help so per the Doctor's instructions we headed to the ER. The picture above was taken about two hours after her treatment at home (notice her hospital gown). I guess it took that long to finally kick in. But, I was relieved she had livened up since previously she had been lethargic. After finally seeing a Doctor around midnight Karina finally fell asleep. (below)

The bad news is that I have to give her 2 treatments of steroids through the nebulizer twice a day (the process probably takes ~20 minutes) until summer! The good news is that summer is almost here, and she could out grow this meaning she may not have asthma forever.
Notice Marisa in the background. The girls are so good about cheering her on. They try to distract Karina through the treatment by showing her books and singing her songs.

Karina is now 15 months. She reminds me a little of Elena when Elena was this age. Karina is not walking but cruising around quite a bit. She started really cruising about two weeks ago and now loves getting around with her walker push toy. I have seen her stand on her own unassisted twice now so maybe she'll walk sometime this month instead of at 16 months like her sister Elena did. I'm actually anxious for her to walk already so she can join her sisters in the backyard. Since she's the third child, I occassionally let her crawl around in the backyard which she does not seem to mind even on bare knees. When it's time to come in she is filthy and most definitely needs an immediate bath! I'm ready for her to start walking if only just to have less laundry to wash! ha!

Karina has already had some toddler tantrums, which have shocked me because I didn't deal with these kinds of tantrums with the other girls and surely not this early. She seems to be extra sensitive when she's sick and some of her tantrums have come as a result of having to sit on my lap for the asthma treatments. I can't say I blame her, twice a day of those treatments is hard enough for me.

She still loves to eat. She eats a ton!!! I thought that by now she would have slowed down or become picky as toddlers seem to do around this age, but instead she eats everything I serve and then some. Again, because she is the third she's already eaten a lot more variety than her sisters ever did at this age. She has had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, pizza, ice cream, and anything I can get on her tray quickly.

Some recent pictures below.







2 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor baby! I am so sorry about the asthma. I can't imagine how hard it would be to hold down a 15 month old for treatments twice a day. She is precious!

Julia said...

Josie, we were in the same boat! Jonas caught bronchiolitis when he was about 6 months and ever since then, his colds turn into wheezing. It hasn't been severe but we have to use the neubulizer on occasion as well. That being said, he had 2 colds recently and no wheezing! I pray both our babies outgrow the chance of asthma successfully and soon!