Friday, April 6, 2012

We have visitors!



In early winter Omar planted two Butterfly weed plants in hopes of attracting Monarch butterflies. He wasn't sure if he would be successful, but earlier this week he was pleasantly surprised to see 8 Monarch caterpillars on the plants!

I was so excited to see them because I experienced seeing the entire life cycle previously when the school I taught at in Sonoma ordered butterfly kits each year. It was beautiful and amazing! My favorite part was seeing the shiniest golden dots on the chrysalis. It was just amazing that there could be such beauty in nature. Anyway, we have taken precautionary measures to protect our pets from predators by placing a tomato cage over the plants and surrounding them in mosquito netting (much like the butterfly kit) and hope to post pictures of each stage here. They will be caterpillars for two weeks and chrysalises for 10 days. I'm so excited that the girls will get to experience this! Want to learn cool facts about Monarch butterflies? Check out this site.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I am pinning this for us to do next spring. So cool! I might just have to order a butterfly kit in the meantime...