Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Not forgotten Jake

All parent and pet owners will tell you that once you become a parent you will love your pet less when you have children. Things will change and the pet which you so dearly loved will be 2nd place and then 3rd and so on and so on. If you've ever seen Disney's Lady and the Tramp you can envision this. But before having a child the thought of this made me sad as I really believed things would not change between my Jake and I. How could I love him less?

If you are parent but have never been a pet owner you may not understand this as you cannot possibly fathom the thought of loving a pet as part of the family. Well, yes those parent, pet owners were right. Jake sadly became less important when Elena came along and we no longer do the typical things with Jake as we use to like take him on car rides and play with him for long periods of time outside. We now put him away for playdates and don't take him to the park. Instead, we spend more time with him in the evenings when Elena is asleep. Jake is still a member of the family afterall, and we love him nontheless. And so, just as I have always done, I take a picture of Jake posing every year on his birthday with this same birthday hat with his new age--7 years old this year. Happy Birthday Jake!!

3 comments:

Tamara said...

I know what you mean! We've had Ozzy (our dog) for almost seven years! He was our child before Allison. What a cute dog!

Julia said...

Happy Birthday Jake! He is a well-loved animal!!!!!! :)

Carmen Castro Martinez said...

Having gone through three kids I know what it means and how my Griffin must have felt. I also had to do the same things you mentioned on your blog. But we love our Griffin dearly and the kids enjoy him more than we do now. He is so used to them now that at bedtime he always goes and checks if the kids are in their beds- and even smells them too! He holds a special place in my heart and always will. Griffin turned the big 1-0 this April!