Thursday, September 6, 2007

Elena's revelation


I had been going back and forth about whether or not to tell Elena about the baby on the way because I felt I would confuse her, so I decided to wait. She has a pretty laid back personality and after seeing her interaction with the few babies I've taken care of at home I haven't really been concerned about how she would handle having a new baby in the house.

But since it's my usual nature to worry about something anyway, I began to wonder if it was not such a good idea to just show up with a baby and expect her to take it well. I also began reading that every sibling-to-be at any age should be told about a baby's arrival before hand. I even read that children sense changes and even mama's changing body. Yeah right, I thought. Regardless, I decided to give it a try this week.

I began to tell Elena that mama had a baby in her belly. Every time I said this she walked over to her room and brought her baby doll. I continued anyway. Yesterday however, we were both lying on the bed when I began to feel the baby move. I said, "Elena, feel the baby, it's moving." She had her hand on my belly a few moments at a time and then moved on to her next activity, but I felt as she at least knew we weren't talking about her dolls.

So finally, here's the revelation (sorry, for the ramble, but I had to give background). This morning while I was still in my pajamas which included a non maternity shirt that cuts off above my belly button and very obviously shows by growing belly, Elena from her high chair all on her own says, pointing to my belly, "Mama, bibi" I am in disbelief and Omar even more. I ask him if he saw and heard and realized that she knew. He asks, "Do you really know, Elena?" And I walk over and Elena touches my belly and says, "bibi" OH, it was music to my ears!! I almost teared up...yes I know it's the hormones but still, my little baby sees I didn't get fatter but that just maybe there is a baby in there that she will soon be meeting. Lets just hope she doesn't expect a doll to come out. Ha!!

1 comment:

Julia said...

So sweet!!!!!!!! :) She is going to be such a little mama and a great big sister!