Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dear Elena,

I began writing a journal to you as an infant and have continued to do so whenever I get those wonderful mom feelings. Now you're 23 months old and I can't believe you are no longer a baby. I try and convince myself that you must be a baby because you wear diapers, you cry, you need your mother. But then you communicate with me with words, give me hugs and kisses when I ask or don't, you point out all that you see and repeat the word of that object that has caught your attention until I respond. You jump (or at least your version of a jump), you dance, you spin, you run to be chased, you do these silly things and break out in laughter because you now have a sense of humor and so you I tell myself you must not be baby anymore.

Regardless of these conflicting emotions--wanting you to move up to the next phase but not wanting you to grow so that you stay young, I realize that this is what being a mother is all about. Loving you more each day as you show more and more of your personality is why motherhood is so great. I love to watch you learn to see what you love and don't. Right now you love cars you can ride in/on. We went to the park the other day and you just had to ride in someone else's wagon. You insisted and so they were nice enough to let you ride. You dislike bees--well, this artificial bee on an artificial flower. You refuse to get near it and touch it. You also don't like big floor fans or the hand dryers in bathrooms. In fact, when you are near them you react so frightened and unlike yourself. You still love books. On long car rides books can entertain you for at least an hour. I usually pack a bag with at least 10 books and you actually look through each of them slowly. You also love animals. For now seeing them on TV or in books is enjoying enough for you. I recently discovered google videos and I type in dolphin and a video with a dolphin comes out. You love these!! But I can't wait to take you to the zoo as I can already imagine how thrilled you'll be.

If I could describe your personality from the time you showed it, I would say you are vibrant, cheerful, laidback, gentle. You are such a happy and easy going toddler that I just can't imagine that your little brother or sister will give me this easy of a time. Surely I can't be that lucky. You do have your times though like when you kept us sleepless for 3 nights in a row determined to climb out of the crib and join us in our evening together or nonchalantly walking to join us in our bedroom. We tried the toddler bed but you ended up on the floor and didn't sleep well so in desperation we bought the crib tent which you now love. You're almost too intent on having a good time that if I ask you to do something and you don't want to you run away in laughter convinced that if you must be in trouble you might as well have a good time doing it. This is probably the hardest task for me because you don't cry or get upset if you are in trouble you take it well and move on. But like any parent I want you to know the difference between right and wrong.

My sweet Elena, you bring so much joy into our lives. Your easy going spirit reminds me to enjoy every minute of life and relax more. You have such a wonderful soul I can't wait to see you embrace this as you get older. Happy early 2nd Birthday my sweet baby girl!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

"Ring around the Roses"

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I love the letter to Elena - it is so sweet. You are a really good writer! I like the way you put your emotions into words. Sweet Elena - she is such a sweet little girl.

Julia said...

I love these letters both you and Tamara write! Maybe it's not too late for me to start them... ;) We're so proud of Nannie, she is growing into a beautiful young lady!!!!