Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pio, pio, pio, pio (peep, peep, peep, peep)

I don't know how but sometime ago Elena developed a love for chicks or as she likes to call them--"pio,pio." Maybe it happened during her first year when we took her to the A&M Poultry farm where Omar works on his research experiments and where we showed Elena chicks for the first time. Since then however we haven't been back until now, but nevertheless Elena often talks about chicks. She asks that we draw chicks on her Magna Doodle, she asks to listen to the Latin lullaby "Los Pollitos Dicen...pio, pio, pio..." (When the little chicks say peep, peep, peep), and she brings me the book with the song in it so that I can sing it to her. The song is also on her new bilingual Leap Frog farm magnetic fridge toy, and she presses the button that plays different songs but she presses it like a fast foward button until it gets to that song and she begins to sing "pio, pio, pio." She also has a Peep stuffed animal--you know those Easter marshmallow candies--and of course she plays with it repeating "pio,pio,pio..."

So I figured we must embrace this obsession, and I anxiously waited until Omar gave me the news that he'd get new chicks at the farm again. He did and so we went to visit the chicks. Again, I don't know how her love for them started but when we got there she must have said pio, pio 500 times!! She adored them and hesitantly pet them when we held them for her. I know she is particularly fond of chicks because when we went to see roosters, hens and turkeys she wasn't too interested. On the way home, she was so sad that she cried: "wah, wah, pio, pio, wah wah..." So her wonderful Daddy decided to loan us 3 little chicks to keep at the house until of course they start turning into chickens. Here's some footage of Elena at the Poultry farm.




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

6 comments:

Julia said...

She IS excited about the chicks!!! So cute! Do you think they'll let us have a playgroup field trip out there? ;)

Josie said...

Julia, I've thought of that several times but I didn't know if you guys would think it was boring. I'll ask Omar if more are interested...or not...we can go together sometime.

Tamara said...

I think having a field trip out there would be fun! Count me in!

Rachel said...

She's so cute! Enjoy the chicks while they are still chicks--it doesn't last long! They turn into stinky chickens fast. :)

Julia said...

TOTALLY not boring! Are you KIDDING me???? Please ask!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.