Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hobbies

I can remember many times having to fill out blanks to questions asking about your hobbies and interests. I remember the question of hobbies being asked in college, organizations, and most recently this was asked in the water aerobics class I attended while pregnant. I've never liked this question as my mind always forms a blank from it. I never had an activity that I loved so much that I wanted to spend my free time doing it. Sadly, before children my hobby was relaxing and going out anywhere--to eat, shop, the movies, etc. (which I still love but there's less time for it now) But like I said I was not one of those people who enjoyed scrapbooking, bicycling, collecting. Who has the free time for all this I asked?

Well, wouldn't you know, but now at almost 30 I've acquired sewing. It's hard to even call it a hobby because I don't love it. What I love about it is the ability to mend things that have come apart. I love that I can now make any pair of pants fit me in length and not become annoyed about being just shy of 5 feet tall. I love that most recently I re-did the elastic on Elena's cloth diapers (thanks for the lesson Rachel!) But more than anything I love making gifts and this is what motivates me to sew . Here are two things I most recently made. I've made a few of these and even sold some, but these are my first pictures.
nursing cover
ring sling

4 comments:

Julia said...

Way to go Mama! The hobby question throws me for a loop too ;)

Carmen Castro Martinez said...

I like what you've done!! You should be proud to be able to do this. Not everybody can. I always wanted to do the same. In fact, about two birthdays ago, Charlie heard me saying how I'd love to make curtains for the girls' room. That year he gave me a sewing machine. I was touched by the gesture but when I got it I was clueless. Instead of self teaching I decided to trade it in for a flat panel monitor for my computer. Oh well...I too started to put more time in my scrapbooking hobby when a store finally opened up here. I get to share the same passion with other ladies and scrapbook during the weekends or on special "crop days".

Stephanie said...

Those look good. Have you asked Julia for her name for the nursing cover? I love it.

I'd love to learn to sew, was it hard? Are you teaching yourself?

Josie said...

Stephanie, I didn't teach myself since I'm a very visual learner and need help along the way when learning new things. So I definitely did not venture out into sewing without help. I took sewing in high school and learned it there, but there is not much to it once you learn the basics of handling the machine. I actually didn't get my machine until last year and I hadn't sewn since high school (10years ago--opps, I'm revealing my age:)) and it came back to me without a lesson so it's very possible to teach yourself.

Carmen, thanks!! I'd love to see your scrapbooks they are such a great way for preserving memories. I finally finished mine from our time in California but it took me years, and I realized I was too impatient to keep doing it.