Saturday, October 25, 2008

Why I love this thing


I first read about back carriers on my friend Megan's live journal. (Thank you Megan!) I'd only seen those with the metal frame and I couldn't imagine adding more weight to an already growing baby. Then I wondered why they only made soft front carriers not ones for your back. Well apparently, I was unaware of the baby carrying world because they exist just not at your local store. I chose the AngelPack LX because of great reviews from petite mamas. The Beco got great reviews too. The Angelpack LX has narrower straps than the Beco so I chose it instead. There are many others to chose from and you can review similar soft structured carriers at TheBabyWearer.com under soft structured carriers. The carriers can also be worn in front. Although I still prefer the Mei Tai for front carrying, the back carry position allows me to do a lot more things.

Here's what I've been able to do since I purchased mine:

* Grocery shop. They don't have double carts here so Marisa goes on my back and Elena in the cart.

* Go to the park and follow Elena wherever she goes without a hauling the stroller around. Marisa loves watching Elena play.

* Use public restrooms. Maybe too much information but I swear I waited to get home before, and now Elena goes, then I go, and Marisa just stays on my back.

* Do just about any chore around the house when Marisa wants to be held.

* Cook...okay so I know technically I'm not supposed to do this but I make certain she's safe and dinner gets done at the end of the day when the girls are tired of each other and need a break from each other.

* On the same note, separate the girls when they're having squabbles and need a break from each other.

* Walk the dog

* Not have to take the double stroller everywhere since I have free hands ready for Elena's every move.

* Ride the "T" (the mass transit system). I can use the double stroller, but with crowds it's sometimes easier to have Elena in the single, smaller stroller.

* Carry Elena in it. Okay so I didn't do it for long, but it sure helped to distract her at the airport during our layover.

* Carry Marisa in the most comfortable position ever for an hour or more.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I saw that picture in your previous posts and was going to ask about it. I'm glad you love it!! Aren't they the best!? I don't know how people have two kids without one!

Rachel said...

I'm sure sweet little Marisa loves the special time with you, too!

You do know that your MT can be used on your back also? Just wondering...

I like the Beco because I can get it on much easier with the buckles and all. The padding is so much more comfortable, too!

I seriously use it all the time. I can't imagine not having it around.

Julia said...

Okay, how am I going to convince Bronius that I "need" yet another baby carrier? haha! I so want one!