Sunday, November 18, 2007

Elena's birthday

When I was younger birthdays were about parties, friends, and presents. As we celebrated Elena's birthday yesterday, I came to realize how significant her birthday is to me. I also realized how every one of my birthdays is probably more significant to my mother than it is to me just as Elena's birthday is now to me. On this day I was reminded of Elena's pregnancy leading up to her Birth-Day. You see those words mean so much more to me now. Maybe everyone has always understood it but for me it was the realization that on that day 2 years ago, by God's will, I brought a new life into the world. Looking back at all the complications and fears of that day God blessed us with a healthy baby girl and my life since then has never been the same. At just two years old Elena is her own little person with her own personality. On every birthday that Elena celebrates, I will always remember that a new life came into the world and what a miracle that is!!! To be handed the responsibility to raise a child and mold them into adults and to be given the privilege to love a child and to be loved by a child must be the greatest thing in life. Having Elena for two whole years now has been so full filling, and as I think about the many parents including my own who are not able to watch their children live their enitre lives because of other plans God may have for them, I am thankful for these two years with Elena and only hope that I will continue to be given the privilege to celebrate many more birthdays with her.

And now for the fun stuff...it was a great day! Elena had many friends join her on her special day. She was so happy to see them all in one day. She played with balloons, ate her cupcake and really enjoyed it when they sang "Happy Birthday" to her. Here are a few pics of the day. It was hard to get pictures since I was running around getting things organized. Thanks Julia for taking some photos too! And thank you to everyone who made this day so special for Elena.


Elena's birthday cupcakes and the closest I will ever get to my mom's cake decorating talent.
Before the party
Picnic birthday lunch with friends
Playing a game
Smiling as everybody sings "Happy Birthday."

Yum!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Elena is so blessed to have such doting parents!!!!! The party was PERFECT in every way!

Anonymous said...

Look at those pictures! Love the pink and brown combination and sure do wish we could have celebrated with ya'll. Great little bears, Josie....you're already a better cake decorator than I will ever be! :)
Give my niece a hug and a kiss and remind her that she's prayed for every night...love ya'll Cousin Alberto and Tia Diana.